1. Place a baking sheet in oven. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Lightly coat 6 (8-ounce) ramekins with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons sugar, tilting dishes to coat sides completely.
3. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and egg yolks in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until thick and pale (about 2 minutes). Add 3/4 cup buttermilk and next 4 ingredients (through flour); beat at medium speed just until blended.
4. Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Using clean dry beaters, beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until medium peaks form.
5. Gently stir one-fourth of egg whites into lemon mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites. Gently spoon mixture into prepared ramekins. Sharply tap dishes 2 or 3 times on counter to level. Sprinkle evenly with almonds. Place dishes on preheated baking sheet; return baking sheet to 425° oven. Immediately reduce oven temperature to 350°; bake soufflés at 350° for 20 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned. Serve immediately.