Sublime! Followed the recipe, a lot of work but so worth the effort. Flavor is best the second day and I recommend storing it in a cool place. The crystallized ginger was an unexpected ingredient but adds a very subtile depth to the flavor. My husband described it as not a cookie but a confection.
For quick cleanup and easy serving, line the bottom and sides of the pan with foil before adding the dough.
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 35 Minutes
- 2 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. lemon zest, divided
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt, divided
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Garnish: powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat 1/4 cup granulated sugar, butter, and 1 tsp. zest at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer 2 minutes or until creamy. Stir together 2 cups flour and 1/4 tsp. salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until just blended. Coat a 13- x 9-inch pan with cooking spray. Press dough into bottom of prepared pan. Chill 15 minutes.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- 3. Whisk together eggs and 2 cups sugar. Process ginger and 1/2 cup flour in a food processor 1 minute or until ginger is finely chopped. Stir in baking powder. Whisk ginger mixture into egg mixture. Whisk in lemon juice and remaining 2 Tbsp. lemon zest; pour over crust.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 15 to 20 minutes or until filling is just set. Remove from oven.
- 5. Stir together remaining 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 tsp. salt in a small bowl. Stir in melted butter until well blended. Stir in almonds. Sprinkle over hot lemon mixture, and bake 20 to 25 more minutes or just until lightly golden. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Cut into squares.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note