This is the perfect base recipe for light and fluffy hushpuppies. But, as written, they are a little plain. You have to season them to suit your taste (a little hot sauce or Tony's is good). As long as you don't overmix the batter, they turn out great. Depending on the cornmeal used, you might have to adjust the liquid content.
Lela's Hush Puppies
- 2 1/4 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Vegetable oil
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Whisk together buttermilk and eggs; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Let mixture stand 30 minutes.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°.
- Drop batter by heaping teaspoonfuls into hot oil. Fry, in batches, 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on wire racks over paper towels; serve hot.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note