- 2 1/4 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Vegetable oil
How to Make It
Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
Whisk together buttermilk and eggs; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Let mixture stand 30 minutes.
Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°.
Drop batter by heaping teaspoonfuls into hot oil. Fry, in batches, 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on wire racks over paper towels; serve hot.