A great way to serve leeks! Very different than any way we've had them and tasty. Husband's only concern was how he was supposed to eat them--and he worked through that as I gobbled mine up. Will definitely make again. No changes to recipe.
Leeks à la Grecque (Greek-Style Leeks)
Photo: Jan Smith
Braised in a piquant blend of red wine vinegar, olive oil, and herbs, and then chilled, these leeks are a fine make-ahead Parisian side dish.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 114
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 439mg
- Calcium: 116mg
- 4 leeks (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 fresh marjoram sprigs
- 3 fresh oregano sprigs
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Remove roots, outer leaves, and tops from leeks, leaving 1 1/2 to 2 inches of dark leaves. Slice leeks in half lengthwise to within 1 inch of bulb end, and rinse with cold water. Arrange the leeks in a single layer in the bottom on a 9-inch pie plate.
- Combine water and next 6 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Pour vinegar mixture over leeks. Cover with foil, and bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until leeks are tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove leeks; reserve cooking liquid. Cool leeks to room temperature. Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Place the cooking liquid in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; strain mixture through a sieve over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Discard solids.
- Place 2 leek halves on each of 4 small plates; top each serving with 1/4 cup tomato and 1 1/2 teaspoons of olives. Drizzle 1 tablespoon reserved liquid over each serving, and divide cheese evenly among plates. Sprinkle evenly with chopped marjoram and chopped oregano.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables