Prep: 21 minutes; Cook: 40 minutes
A simple blend of caramelized leeks topped with a broth-soaked slice of cheese toast really hit the spot at our taste testing. Parrano Originale is a slightly sweet and nutty cheese that melts well and is not stringy. If this cheese is not available in your area, substitute Dutch Gouda or Swiss cheese.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 322
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Protein: 14.7g
- Carbohydrate: 45.3g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 1119mg
- Calcium: 256mg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced leek (about 4 large)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette
- 1/3 cup (1 1/3 ounces) shredded Parrano Originale cheese
- 1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and garlic; sauté 15 minutes or until golden. Add broth, thyme, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- 2. While soup simmers, preheat broiler. Place baguette slices on a large baking sheet, and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil 4 minutes or until cheese melts and bread is toasted.
- 3. Remove soup from heat, and discard bay leaf. Ladle soup into individual bowls, and top with cheese toast.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note