Leek and Potato Frittata
Notes: Serve with sliced tomatoes sprinkled with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 257
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 15g
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 485mg
- Cholesterol: 163mg
- 1 pound leeks
- 1/2 pound red thin-skinned potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Italian blend cheese or shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
- 4 slices (1 oz. each) French bread, toasted
- 1. Trim and discard root ends and tough tops from leeks; peel 1 layer off each leek. Cut leeks in half lengthwise and hold each half under cool running water, flipping to remove grit between layers. Thinly slice crosswise (you should have about 3 cups). Scrub potatoes and cut into 1/3-inch chunks.
- 2. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan (with ovenproof handle), combine leeks, potatoes, olive oil, thyme, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat; cover pan, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender when pierced, 6 to 8 minutes. If any liquid remains in pan, uncover and simmer, stirring often, until evaporated. Spread vegetable mixture level in pan.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat eggs, egg whites, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1 tablespoon water to blend. Pour egg mixture over vegetables in pan. As edges begin to set, lift with a spatula and tilt pan to let uncooked egg mixture flow underneath. Cook until eggs are firm but still moist on top, 2 to 4 minutes.
- 4. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese. Broil about 6 inches from heat until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Slide frittata onto a plate; cut into wedges. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with toast.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note