This soup tasted like spring! I used garlic sprouts (garlic snapes?) instead of the green onions. I only had 1/2 c heavy cream and used that. It tasted so green and fresh. Rave reviews from husband and coworkers. Will make every spring, during short season when garlic sprouts are available from local farmers market.
Leek and Garlic Soup
Leeks perform two functions in this dish: The dark green leaves infuse the broth with a more pronounced flavor, and sliced leek lends the soup a supple texture. Grill a sandwich made with Brie or your favorite soft, ripe cheese to round out the menu.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 96
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 16.1g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 451mg
- Calcium: 49mg
- 1 whole garlic head
- 6 parsley sprigs
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 (4-inch) green leek leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced leek (about 3 large)
- 2 cups (1-inch) cubed crusty bread (about 2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Wrap head in foil. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
- 3. Place parsley, thyme, leek leaves, and bay leaf on cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together; tie securely.
- 4. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sliced leek to pan; cook 7 minutes or until wilted, stirring occasionally. Stir in bread and chopped raw garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add herb bundle, broth, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally; discard herb bundle.
- 5. Place half of leek mixture and half of roasted garlic pulp in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining leek mixture and roasted garlic pulp. Ladle about 2/3 cup soup into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each serving with 2 teaspoons chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note