- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Combine sugar, water, and butter in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves; stir well, and cool.
- Dissolve soda in warm water. Add flour, baking powder, and dissolved soda to cooled spice mixture; mix well.
- Shape dough into three 10- inch-long rolls; wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate 8 days. Dough will be sticky.
- Unwrap roll, and cut into 1/4- inch slices. Place cookies on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- Note: For a uniform cookie slice, use a piece of string wrapped around the cookie roll. Wrap the string around the bottom of the roll and criss-cross the ends at the top. Pull string away from roll to slice.
- This results in a more uniform cookie slice which doesn't affect the shape of the remaining roll.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note