Lebanese Lentils with Rice and Caramelized Onions
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 cup(s) Whole grain instant brown rice Pre-cooked dry measure
- 1/2 cup(s) Lentils pre-cooked dry measure
- 1 can(s) Reduced sodium, reduced fat chicken or vegetable broth divided
- 1 cup(s) Onion chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) Olive oil divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Makes (2) 1.5 cup servings.
- (1) Prepare rice according to package directions, substituting broth for half of the water, and using 1 tsp olive oil to add flavor and prevent sticking.
- (2) Prepare lentils in a separate pot according to package directions, using the rest of the broth to substitute for half the water.
- (3) While lentils and rice are simmering on medium-low heat, (about 25 minutes), chop onion, and saute chopped onion in1 tsp olive oil over medium heat until it has softened and caramelized (but not scorched). This will take about 15-20 minutes.
- (4) When lentils are finished cooking, drain remaining liquid from lentils, and mix together in a serving bowl the onions, lentils, and rice.
- (5) Add salt and pepper to taste.
- *Note--this is great as a side dish; you can also grill and chop a chicken breast and add it in for even more lean protein.
- Per serving: 196 calories, 5.6 g fat (0.7 g saturated), 1010 mg sodium, 9.7 g protein
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Ejreese and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note