Lean Potatoes Gratin Â
Notes: If potatoes are sliced thinner than suggested, they tend to get gummy. The baking liquid bubbles vigorously and will spill out if the container is too small.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 155
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Protein: 8.5g
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 69mg
- Cholesterol: 6.9mg
- 3 1/4 to 3 /2 pounds thin-skinned potatoes
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded gruyère, cheddar, or fontina cheese
- 1. Peel potatoes and cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-thick slices. Put the slices in a casserole (11- to 12-cup size, about 10 in. wide and 2 in. deep); shake to settle the potatoes down into the container.
- 2. Mix the broth, ground nutmeg, and pepper. Pour the mixture over potatoes.
- 3. Bake in a 425° oven until potatoes are very tender when pierced, 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. As potatoes get dry on top, tilt casserole and spoon up some of the broth to baste them.
- 4. Sprinkle potatoes evenly with cheese. Bake until it melts, about 3 minutes.
- 5. Let casserole sit 5 to 10 minutes for most of the remaining juices to soak into potatoes, then serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Lean Potatoes Gratin Â Recipe at a Glance