I love the twist of adding veggies to traditional taco mix. They added great texture! I was going to serve these with a side of brown rice, but I ended up throwing in the cooked rice right in with the taco mixture and serving it all together. Delish!
Lean Green Lettuce Tacos
Queso fresco is Spanish for "fresh cheese." It has a soft and crumbly texture (similar to feta) with mild flavor. You can find it in the dairy section of larger supermarkets.
More From Southern Living
- Calories: 93
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Carbohydrate: 6.2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 227mg
- Calcium: 14mg
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small yellow squash, diced
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (1.25-oz.) taco fresco seasoning
- 1 (8-oz.) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves
- Toppings: diced tomato, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped red onion, crumbled queso fresco*
- 1. Sauté first 3 ingredients in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Stir in seasoning until blended; cook 1 minute.
- 2. Reduce heat to low; stir in tomato sauce, and cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat, and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- 3. Serve meat mixture in romaine lettuce leaves with desired toppings.
- *2% reduced-fat shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese may be substituted.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Nueva Cocina Taco Fresco Ground Beef Seasoning.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers