Layered Tomato-Vegetable Casserole
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 114
- Calories from fat: 57%
- Protein: 2.6g
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 17mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 red onions (1 lb. total), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds firm-ripe red or yellow tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound zucchini, rinsed, ends trimmed, and thinly sliced
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, frequently stir onions and 1 tablespoon olive oil until onions begin to brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 2. Meanwhile, rinse tomatoes, core, cut in half, and squeeze out seeds. Thinly slice tomatoes crosswise.
- 3. Combine basil, thyme, and garlic. Mix 1/2 of the herbs with zucchini.
- 4. Spread cooked onions in a shallow 2- to 3-quart casserole. Distribute zucchini evenly over onions.
- 5. Layer tomato slices over sliced zucchini. Sprinkle evenly with remaining herb mixture and lightly with salt and pepper. Drizzle vegetables with remaining olive oil.
- 6. Bake in a 400° oven until tomatoes are browned and zucchini slices are tender when pierced, 35 to 40 minutes (30 to 35 minutes in a convection oven). Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This