- 1 (18.5-ounce) package butter recipe golden cake mix
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves, divided
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Garnish: fresh strawberries
How to Make It
Beat first 4 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer until cake mix is moistened. Beat at medium speed 4 minutes. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
Bake at 350° for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans. Brush top of each layer with 2 tablespoons preserves. Cool completely on wire racks.
Beat remaining preserves with whipping cream and powdered sugar at high speed with electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Arrange half of strawberries over layer; top with half of whipped cream mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining layer, strawberries, and whipped cream mixture. Garnish, if desired.