Layered Fruit Congealed Salad
More From Southern Living
Chill: 4 Hours, 15 Minutes
- 1 small navel orange
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 (3-ounce) packages peach-flavored gelatin
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (3-ounce) packages raspberry-flavored gelatin
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Cut orange into thin (1/8-inch-thick) slices, discarding ends.
- Stir together 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and stir until sugar dissolves. Gently stir in orange slices, and bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low, and simmer, occasionally pressing orange slices into liquid, for 40 minutes. Remove orange slices using a slotted spoon, and place in a single layer on wax paper; cool completely. Discard liquid in pan.
- Place 1 orange slice in bottom of each of 6 (1 1/2- to 2-cup) water glasses, discarding or reserving remaining orange slices for another use. (Orange slices will not lay flat against bottoms of glasses.) Set aside.
- Remove and discard 2 tablespoons peach-flavored gelatin from 1 package. Stir together remaining peach-flavored gelatin and 2 cups boiling water in a bowl 1 to 2 minutes or until gelatin dissolves. Pour about 1/3 cup peach-flavored gelatin mixture over orange slice in each glass. Chill 1 hour or until firm.
- Stir together half-and-half and 1/4 cup cold water in a medium sauce-pan. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin, and stir. Place pan over medium heat; stir in remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and cook, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or until sugar and gelatin dissolve. (Do not boil). Remove pan from heat.
- Microwave cream cheese at MEDIUM (50% power) 45 seconds or until very soft; stir until smooth. Whisk cream cheese into half-and-half mixture until smooth; whisk in vanilla extract, and chill 30 minutes or until slightly cool. Spoon about 3 tablespoons cream cheese mixture in an even layer over firm peach layer in each glass; chill.
- Remove and discard 2 tablespoons raspberry-flavored gelatin from 1 package. Stir together raspberry-flavored gelatin and remaining 2 cups boiling water l to 2 minutes or until gelatin dissolves. Chill 45 minutes or until consistency of unbeaten egg white. Stir in raspberries, and spoon about 1/2 cup raspberry mixture in an even layer over cream cheese mixture in each glass. Cover and chill at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes