Layered Fruit Congealed Salad
Don't cover bowls or glasses during each chill time (except at very end). This shortens the required time in the refrigerator as you move through the steps.
More From Southern Living
Chill: 4 Hours, 15 Minutes
- 1 small navel orange
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 (3-ounce) packages peach-flavored gelatin
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (3-ounce) packages raspberry-flavored gelatin
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Cut orange into thin (1/8-inch-thick) slices, discarding ends.
- Stir together 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and stir until sugar dissolves. Gently stir in orange slices, and bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low, and simmer, occasionally pressing orange slices into liquid, for 40 minutes. Remove orange slices using a slotted spoon, and place in a single layer on wax paper; cool completely. Discard liquid in pan.
- Place 1 orange slice in bottom of each of 6 (1 1/2- to 2-cup) water glasses, discarding or reserving remaining orange slices for another use. (Orange slices will not lay flat against bottoms of glasses.) Set aside.
- Remove and discard 2 tablespoons peach-flavored gelatin from 1 package. Stir together remaining peach-flavored gelatin and 2 cups boiling water in a bowl 1 to 2 minutes or until gelatin dissolves. Pour about 1/3 cup peach-flavored gelatin mixture over orange slice in each glass. Chill 1 hour or until firm.
- Stir together half-and-half and 1/4 cup cold water in a medium sauce-pan. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin, and stir. Place pan over medium heat; stir in remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and cook, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or until sugar and gelatin dissolve. (Do not boil). Remove pan from heat.
- Microwave cream cheese at MEDIUM (50% power) 45 seconds or until very soft; stir until smooth. Whisk cream cheese into half-and-half mixture until smooth; whisk in vanilla extract, and chill 30 minutes or until slightly cool. Spoon about 3 tablespoons cream cheese mixture in an even layer over firm peach layer in each glass; chill.
- Remove and discard 2 tablespoons raspberry-flavored gelatin from 1 package. Stir together raspberry-flavored gelatin and remaining 2 cups boiling water l to 2 minutes or until gelatin dissolves. Chill 45 minutes or until consistency of unbeaten egg white. Stir in raspberries, and spoon about 1/2 cup raspberry mixture in an even layer over cream cheese mixture in each glass. Cover and chill at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes