Not quite as flavorful as I hoped - add more spice to the bean mixture before pureeing. Still, not nearly as heavy as most bean dips, since the corn, rice, and cilantro kept things fresh. Definitely needed more salsa in the layers.
Layered Chili, Cheese, and Roasted-Corn Dip
Reheat the leftovers and spoon into warmed flour tortillas for flavorful bean burritos.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup dip and 1/2 cup chips)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 174
- Calories from fat: 10%
- Fat: 1.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 8.5g
- Carbohydrate: 31.8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 446mg
- Calcium: 120mg
- 2 (16-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained, rinsed, and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) block fat-free cream cheese
- Cooking spray
- 1 (11-ounce) can no-salt-added whole-kernel corn, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cooked basmati or other long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup bottled salsa
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 cups baked tortilla chips (about 8 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine 2 cups beans, cumin, hot sauce, black pepper, and cream cheese in a food processor; process until smooth. Place bean mixture in a medium bowl; stir in remaining beans. Set aside.
- Place a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add corn and garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat, and stir in rice, cilantro, and chiles.
- Spread half of the bean mixture in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread half of salsa over bean mixture. Spread rice mixture over salsa. Top with the remaining salsa and bean mixture, and sprinkle with the cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Layered Chili, Cheese, and Roasted-Corn Dip Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Dips/Spreads
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, Southwest
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Beans, Cheese
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Cholesterol, Meatless, Low Saturated Fat, Gluten-Free
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor, Bake
- OCCASION: Super Bowl
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light