I agree with the others who said the sauce was oddly sweet. I still thought that it was okay but I might try adding something to it to counter the sauce, just not sure what.
Lasagna with Fall Vegetables, Gruyère, and Sage Béchamel
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 418
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 22.3g
- Carbohydrate: 62.7g
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 703mg
- Calcium: 505mg
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach
- 8 cups chopped portobello mushroom caps (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 6 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 12 precooked lasagna noodles
- 2 cups warm water
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- To prepare béchamel, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour in a Dutch oven, and gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Add 1/2 cup onion, sage, shallots, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil; cook 1 minute or until thick. Strain béchamel through a sieve over a bowl, and discard solids. Set the béchamel aside.
- To prepare the filling, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 1/2 cups onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and spinach; sauté 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Set aside.
- Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, mushroom, and sweet potato on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes.
- Combine cheeses; set aside.
- To prepare noodles, soak noodles in warm water in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish 5 minutes. Drain.
- Spread 3/4 cup béchamel in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles over béchamel; top with half of mushroom mixture, 1 1/2 cups béchamel, and 1/3 cup cheese mixture. Top with 3 noodles, spinach mixture, 1 1/2 cups béchamel, and 1/3 cup cheese mixture. Top with 3 noodles, remaining mushroom mixture, 1 1/2 cups béchamel, and 3 noodles. Spread remaining béchamel over noodles. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake an additional 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Lasagna with Fall Vegetables, Gruyère, and Sage Béchamel Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Casseroles