Larry's Barbecue Sauce
This spicy-sweet barbecue sauce comes from Brendan Collins, executive chef at Larry's, in Venice, California. He serves it on his Pork Cheek BLT, and it's delicious; it would also be mighty fine on grilled chicken.
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 8 large garlic cloves
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 qt. (32 oz.) ketchup
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 cup Coca-Cola, reduced over medium-high heat to 1/4 cup
- 1. Heat oil in a 4-qt. pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 15 minutes.
- 2. Add sugar and peppercorns and cook, stirring frequently until sugar melts, about 1 minute. Add ketchup, liquid smoke, and Coke reduction. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- 3. Cook for 1 hour to meld flavors. Using a blender, whirl mixture until smooth, about 4 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note