Photo: Jennifer Davick
Yield: Makes 12 servings
More From Southern Living
Bake: 25 Minutes
Cool: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 8 egg whites
- Lane Cake Filling
- 1/2 recipe 7-Minute Frosting
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- 2. Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold one-third of egg whites into batter; fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, and cool 1 hour or until completely cool.
- 4. Spread Lane Cake Filling between layers and on top of cake. Prepare 7-Minute Frosting; spread onto sides of cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings