Notes: If the casserole is chilled, the natural effects of the seasoning will keep the meat mixture pink in the center, even when it is cooked. Test doneness with a thermometer.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 592
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 60g
- Fiber: 12g
- Sodium: 239mg
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 8 portabella mushrooms (4 1/2-in.-wide caps), about 2 1/2 lb. total
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup curry powder
- 2 cups bulgur wheat
- 5 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lean lamb
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 3 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1. Cut apricots in half crosswise.
- 2. Rinse and drain mushrooms. Trim off stems flush with caps. Finely chop stems and set caps aside.
- 3. In a 4- to 5-quart nonstick pan over high heat, frequently shake pine nuts until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Pour into a small bowl.
- 4. To pan, add chopped mushrooms, oil, onion, and curry powder. Stir over high heat until mushrooms and onion are limp and juices evaporate, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and spoon half the mixture into a large bowl.
- 5. To mushroom mixture in the pan, add apricots, bulgur, and 5 cups broth. Bring to a boil, stir, cover, remove from heat, and let stand until bulgur is tender to bite, at least 8 minutes.
- 6. Meanwhile, combine reserved onion-mushroom mixture, 1/3 cup broth, lamb, and bread crumbs. Mix well. Pat an equal amount of lamb mixture onto the cup side of each mushroom cap, covering evenly. Scatter 1 tablespoon pine nuts onto each meat-filled mushroom and gently press nuts into meat.
- 7. Divide the curried bulgur mixture equally between 2 casseroles, each 3 quarts (about 9 by 13 in. and at least 2 in. deep).
- 8. Lay 4 mushrooms, meat side up, in each casserole (they can overlap slightly). If making ahead, cover and chill up to 1 day.
- 9. Bake, covered, in a 400° oven until lamb mixture is no longer pink in center (cut to test, or if chilled, it should register 150° on a thermometer; see notes), 35 to 40 minutes (about 1 hour and 10 minutes if chilled).
- 10. Mix yogurt with mint. If making ahead, cover and chill up to 1 day.
- 11. Spoon portions onto plates and add yogurt sauce and salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles