Lamb Stew with White Beans and Ginger
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 409
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Protein: 35g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 11g
- Sodium: 360mg
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- 1 1/2 pounds boned lamb stew meat, excess fat trimmed
- About 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion (8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups fat-skimmed beef broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons anise seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 carrots (about 10 oz. total), peeled and sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- 3 cans (15 oz. each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1. Rinse lamb and pat dry. Place flour in a plastic bag and add about half the meat; seal bag and shake to coat pieces lightly with flour. With your hands or tongs, lift pieces out and shake off excess flour. Repeat with remaining lamb. Discard remaining flour.
- 2. Set a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and tilt to coat pan bottom. When oil is hot, add about half the meat in a single layer, pieces slightly apart. Cook, turning as needed to brown all sides, about 6 minutes total. Transfer meat to a rimmed plate and repeat to brown remaining lamb, adding 1 more tablespoon oil. Transfer second batch to plate.
- 3. Add onion to pan and stir until limp, about 2 minutes. Return all the lamb and any accumulated juices to pan, then stir in broth, ginger, orange peel, anise seeds, allspice, and cayenne. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until meat is tender when pierced, about 1 hour.
- 4. Add carrots, return to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender when pierced, about 20 minutes. Add beans; cover and simmer, stirring occasionallly, until hot, about 5 minutes. Stir in minced cilantro and salt to taste. Pour into a serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note