1. Heat oil in a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat. Add lamb and stir occasionally until browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute longer.
2. Add broth, wine, tomatoes, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Lower heat to maintain a simmer; cover and cook until lamb is tender when pierced, about 1 1/2 hours.
3. Meanwhile, rinse and trim artichokes (see "Trimming Baby Artichokes," below) and cut in half. When lamb is tender, stir in beans, olives, parsley, thyme, and artichokes. Cover and cook until artichokes are tender when pierced, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
Trimming baby artichokes:
1. Cut off the stem at the base of the artichoke, using a sharp knife.
2. Peel back and snap off the leaves all around the base of the artichoke until you reach the tender layer of leaves that are yellow at the bottom and green at the top.
3. Cut off the top third of the remaining leaves (the green part). With a sharp paring knife, trim off all of the remaining green, fibrous material from around the base of the artichoke.