Lamb Shoulder Roast with Roasted Garlic Sauce
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Randy Mon
More From Sunset
2 Hours, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 682
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 54g
- Fat: 48g
- Saturated fat: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 5.5g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Sodium: 412mg
- Cholesterol: 206mg
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled, plus 1 head
- Finely shredded zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup fresh marjoram leaves, plus sprigs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 boned lamb shoulder roast* or boned leg of lamb (about 4 lbs.)
- About 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. In a food processor, whirl garlic cloves, zest, 1/3 cup marjoram leaves, and 1 tsp. each salt and pepper until minced. Blend in oil.
- 2. Remove any ties from lamb and open it up in a rimmed baking pan. Trim fat (leave a thin layer on the outside). Smear meat all over with marjoram mixture. Using kitchen twine, tie lamb crosswise at about 1 1/2-in. intervals and lengthwise once or twice to form a neat roast. Set in pan fat side up.
- 3. Roast lamb until browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Meanwhile, cut garlic head in half crosswise, set cut sides down on an oiled piece of foil, and seal foil into a package.
- 4. Reduce heat to 300°; set garlic next to meat in pan and bake until very soft when squeezed, 50 to 60 minutes; stir 1/2 to 1 cup broth into drippings if needed to prevent scorching. Let garlic cool. Cook meat until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part reaches 130° for medium-rare.
- 5. Transfer lamb to a cutting board (save pan drippings for sauce); tent with foil.
- 6. Squeeze garlic from peels into a blender. Stir cornstarch with 1 1/2 cups broth until smooth; whisk into drippings, then purée in blender. Heat sauce in a saucepan, stirring, until boiling. Mince remaining marjoram and stir into sauce. Pour into a gravy boat.
- 7. Snip twine from lamb, then cut thickly crosswise. Spoon some sauce on top and garnish with marjoram sprigs. Serve remaining sauce on the side.
- *Order ahead of time from your butcher.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This