I used leftover grilled leg of lamb cut into small pieces. I would make this recipe again with extra peppers because the long cooking time made it blander than I would like. I made the mango/mint chutney and cucumber raita both mentioned with the recipe. Both are also very good. I simmered the lamb on the stove instead of using the oven. We also had rice pilaf, fresh pineapple, and coconut with the meal.
Lamb Shanks with Lime and Cilantro
If you like fiery dishes, add more ground red pepper. You can make this a day ahead and allow it to mellow in the refrigerator. To reheat, skim the fat from the top, then place over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated. Serve with Raita and Mango and Mint Chutney. Offer guests bowls of peanuts, shredded coconut, raisins plumped in water or brandy, and chopped pineapple to add at will.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 210
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 27.8g
- Carbohydrate: 7.6g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 89mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 427mg
- Calcium: 46mg
- 4 (1 1/4-pound) lamb shanks, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices carrot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons Homemade Curry Powder
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro stems
- 1 tablespoon grated lime rind
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Lightly score a diamond pattern into both sides of the lamb. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Combine the salt, coriander, cumin, and pepper; rub over lamb. Add half of lamb shanks to pan, and cook 8 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Remove lamb from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and lamb shanks; remove from pan.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and carrot to pan, and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic, lemongrass, and Homemade Curry Powder; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return the lamb shanks to pan. Add 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, broth, cilantro stems, rind, and juice; bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake at 350º for 1 1/2 hours or until lamb shanks are tender. Skim fat from surface of cooking liquid with a spoon. Stir in 1/2 cup cilantro leaves. Remove lamb from pan, and cool slightly. Remove meat from bones, and discard bones. Return meat to pan.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note