I was a little nervous about lamb in the crock pot, but this turned out wonderfully. Great flavors and really easy to make. My whole family enjoyed it. I did use jarred artichokes as that is what I had on hand. Also used 8 lamb chops instead of shanks.
Lamb Shanks with Artichoke Caponata
Photo: James Carrier; Styling: Kim Konecny
Notes: Serve with soft polenta or hot cooked orzo (rice-shaped) pasta. For an additional rich touch, sprinkle servings of shanks with toasted pine nuts.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 834
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 64g
- Fat: 52g
- Saturated fat: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Sodium: 1155mg
- Cholesterol: 229mg
- 4 lamb shanks (3 3/4 to 4 1/4 lb. total), bones cracked
- Fresh-ground pepper
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper (1/2 lb.), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 box (8 oz.) frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 cup drained pitted calamata olives
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1. Rinse shanks, pat dry, and arrange slightly apart in a 10- by 15-inch pan; sprinkle all over with pepper.
- 2. Bake shanks in a 450° oven until well browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a 4 1/2-quart or larger electric slow-cooker, combine onion, bell pepper, celery, artichoke hearts, olives, capers, and basil. Set shanks on vegetables in cooker. Add tomatoes with juice, vinegar, and any lamb juices from baking pan.
- 4. Cover and cook until lamb is very tender when pierced with a fork, 6 to 6 1/2 hours on low, 4 to 4 1/2 hours on high.
- 5. With a slotted spoon, transfer each shank to a wide, shallow bowl and keep warm. Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid. Turn cooker to high. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 1 1/2 tablespoons water; pour into cooker and stir often until sauce is bubbling, about 10 minutes. Spoon sauce and vegetables over lamb, and sprinkle portions with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes