I really enjoyed the flavor of the meat but I did add more seasonings than what it called for. However the sauce was a little bland for my taste. It just felt like it was missing something. I'll have to play with it a little because otherwise I liked everything else.
Lamb Pitas with Lemon-Mint Sauce
Load pita pockets with roasted red peppers, ground lamb, and a vibrant three-ingredient sauce for a quick-cooking dinner that's sure to satisfy.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed pita halves)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 381
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 27.1g
- Carbohydrate: 40.9g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 680mg
- Calcium: 163mg
- 2/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces ground lamb
- 6 ounces ground sirloin
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
- 1 cup peeled seeded thinly sliced cucumber
- 2 bottled roasted red bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch strips (about 1/2 cup)
- To prepare sauce, combine the first 5 ingredients in a small bowl; cover and chill until ready to serve.
- To prepare sandwiches, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add lamb and beef to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well, and set aside. Wipe pan with a paper towel.
- Lightly coat the pan with cooking spray; return to heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in meat mixture, thyme, ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, crushed red pepper, and garlic. Reduce heat to low; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in parsley. Fill each pita half with 1/4 cup lamb mixture, 2 tablespoons cucumbers, about 1 tablespoon roasted peppers, and about 1 tablespoon sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note