Lamb Pitas with Feta Sauce
Herbed lamb patties are topped with zingy feta-yogurt sauce in this Greek-inspired sandwich. For tender lamb, avoid overworking the meat mixture.
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed pita halves)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 400
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 14.3g
- Saturated fat: 5.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 26.1g
- Carbohydrate: 45.8g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 774mg
- Calcium: 87mg
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 pound lean ground lamb
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 20 (1/4-inch-thick) slices cucumber
- 10 romaine lettuce leaves
- 10 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 5 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, cut in half
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine first 10 ingredients in a large bowl. Add lamb; stir just until combined. Divide mixture into 10 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/4-inch-thick oval patty. Place patties on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 2 minutes on each side or until done.
- Combine cheese and yogurt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Arrange 1 patty, 2 cucumber slices, 1 lettuce leaf, and 1 tomato slice in each pita half. Drizzle each pita half with about 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese mixture. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note