- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 1/2 pounds lean ground lamb
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (4-ounce) package crumbled feta cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- Garnishes: dried parsley flakes, fresh parsley sprigs
How to Make It
Bake pine nuts in a shallow pan at 350°, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until toasted.
Combine pine nuts and next 9 ingredients; press half of mixture into a lightly greased 9- x 5-inch loafpan. Sprinkle with cheese, and press remaining lamb mixture over cheese.
Bake at 375° for 1 1/2 hours; remove from pan, and place on a rack in a broiler pan. Pour tomato sauce over top; bake 10 more minutes or until done. Garnish, if desired. Serve with toasted pita bread.