Lamb Curry with Cashew & Coconut
- 2 ounce(s) Cashew Nuts
- 4 clove(s) Garlic
- 1 tablespoon(s) Ginger Finely chopped or grated
- 23 ounce(s) Stewing or Diced Lamb cut into bite size rough cubes
- 2 whole(s) Medium sized onions (white)
- 1 teaspoon(s) Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cayenne Pepper (half a teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon(s) Ground Coriander
- 6 whole(s) Cardamom pods crushed
- 1 whole(s) Cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon(s) Garam Masala
- 1/2 whole(s) Lemon (Juice of half a lemon)
- Handful sprig(s) Fresh Coriander to serve chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) Sunflower or other flavourless oil
- 1/2 can(s) Coconut Milk (reduced fat) half a 15oz or 400gram) can
- 1. Place the cashew nuts in a blender or small processor with the garlic, ginger and 4 tablespoons of cold water. Process to a paste.
- 2. Heat half the oil in a pan and brown the lamb off on all sides over a high heat in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon so the juices remain in the pot and set the lamb aside for a few moments.
- 3. Add the rest of the oil to the pan and add the chopped onions. Cook over a medium heat for around 5 minutes or until they've softened and turned a golden brown.
- 4. Add all of the spices except the garam masala and fry for a minute. Stir in the cashew nut paste and cook for another minute.
- 5. Return the lamb to the pan and add 200 millilitres of cold water (not sure what this amount is in imperial measurements).
- 6. Season with some salt and pepper and bring to the boil. When boiling, half cover the pan with a lid, turn down the heat and simmer the lamb for an hour, stirring occasionally until the liquid is reduced by approximately a half.
- 7. Add the coconut milk and garam masala to the pan and simmer for a further 15-20 minutes until the lamb is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- 8. When ready to serve add the lemon juice and scatter with the chopped coriander.
- Serve with either Indian Nan Bread or Plain Rice with seasonal green vegetables. French Green Beans go very well.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Hopskotch and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note