1. On a cutting board, smash the garlic, drizzle it with a tiny bit of the oil, then chop and smash it up until it forms a sort of paste. Scrape it into a small bowl. Add the rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, remaining oil and combine.
2. Add the balsamic vinegar if using. Combine.
3. Rub the mixture evenly over the lamb chops. Cover and refrigerate in a single layer for at least 30 minutes and as long as 4 hours. Take meat out of the refrigerate at least 30 minutes before you plan to cook it.
4. Preheat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Scrape some of the paste off of the chops. Cook the chops for 2 minutes on each side to brown. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the desired degree of doneness (about 3 minutes more for medium rare depending on the size).
5. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Go to full version of