Lamb and Chickpea Chili
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- 8 ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons harissa (see Note) or 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add lamb, turkey and salt and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they have released their liquid and are beginning to break down, about 4 minutes more. Add chickpeas, harissa (or chili powder) and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Serve garnished with cilantro (or mint).
- TIPS & NOTES
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Harissa is a fiery Tunisian chile paste commonly used in North African cooking. Find it at specialty-food stores or online at mustaphas.com or amazon.com. Different brands of harissa vary in heat, so taste it and add accordingly.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by cindiemiller11 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note