Lady Peas with Artichoke Hearts
Buttery artichoke hearts are a great match for creamy lady peas. If you're tempted to use canned artichokes, don't - they'll ruin both the texture and flavor of this dish.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 198
- Calories from fat: 9%
- Fat: 1.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 9.7g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 10.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 493mg
- Calcium: 200mg
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 12 medium artichokes
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 4 1/2 cups fresh lady peas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- To prepare artichokes, combine 2 cups water and 3 tablespoons lemon juice in a bowl. Cut off stem of each artichoke to within 1 inch of base; peel stem. Remove bottom leaves and tough outer leaves of each artichoke, leaving tender heart and bottom. Remove fuzzy thistle from bottom with a spoon. Cut each artichoke into quarters lengthwise. Place artichoke quarters in lemon water, and drain.
- Combine 4 cups broth, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 3 tablespoons lemon juice in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Add artichoke quarters; cook 20 minutes or until tender. Drain through a fine sieve over a bowl, reserving artichokes and 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Cover and set aside.
- To prepare peas, combine 4 cups water, 2 cups broth, and peas in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until peas are tender. Drain.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid, artichokes, peas, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute. Stir in 3 tablespoons lemon juice and parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note