What on earth does "stir till mixture reaches soft ball texture" mean? Extremely (sickening even) sweet. Not ever making it again
Lady Baltimore Filling
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped raisins
- 1 cup chopped figs
- Combine sugar, cream of tartar, and water in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil and the sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the mixture reaches soft ball stage (240°).
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy. While beating at medium speed of electric mixer, slowly pour hot syrup in a thin stream over egg whites. Turn mixer to high speed and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Add flavorings; beat until blended. Stir in remaining ingredients. Reserve 1/4 cup prepared filling for garnish.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note