This sauce was too vinegar-y and just not tasty.
Kung Pao Shrimp
Notes: Begin the meal with a soup made of chicken broth seasoned with fresh ginger and simmered with green onions, sliced mushrooms, and spinach leaves.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 492
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Protein: 35g
- Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 68g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Sodium: 932mg
- Cholesterol: 173mg
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3/4 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound broccoli florets, rinsed and cut into 1-inch-wide pieces
- 1 teaspoon salad oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound (41 to 50 per lb.) shelled, deveined shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts
- 1. In a 2- to 3-quart pan, combine rice and 2 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until most of the water is absorbed, 7 to 10 minutes. Turn heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender to bite, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Spoon rice into a bowl.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix broth, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch, sugar, chili flakes, and salt until smooth.
- 3. In a 12-inch nonstick frying pan or a 14-inch wok over high heat, combine broccoli and 1/2 cup water. When boiling, cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is bright green and just tender when pierced, 4 to 7 minutes. Pour into a colander to drain.
- 4. Add oil, ginger, and garlic to pan; stir over high heat until garlic begins to brown, 30 to 45 seconds. Add shrimp and stir until opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in broccoli.
- 5. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Stir until sauce boils. Pour shrimp into a bowl and sprinkle with peanuts. Serve with cooked rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes