I used 2 boneless chicken breast, cut up. I cooked the pepper and celery in a pan for about 3 min on med. I also upped the honey a bit. We loved it, however, next time, I would do over rice instead of taco shell.
Kung Pao Chicken Tacos
Photo: Brian Woodcock; Styling: Mary Clayton Carl
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
Amount per serving
- Calories: 418
- Fat: 19.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.1g
- Protein: 25.2g
- Carbohydrate: 39.3g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 531mg
- Calcium: 53mg
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- 3/4 cup diagonally sliced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 lime wedges
- 1. Place chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce to bag; seal. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes. Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Place 1/4 cup cornstarch in a shallow dish. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with salt. Add chicken to cornstarch in dish, and toss chicken to thoroughly coat. Shake off excess cornstarch.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of coated chicken; sauté for 6 minutes or until done, turning to brown. Remove chicken from pan using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Repeat the procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil and coated chicken.
- 3. Combine remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, honey, and next 3 ingredients (through sambal oelek) in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Microwave at HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring twice. Stir in garlic. Combine soy sauce mixture, chicken, peanuts, and celery; toss to coat chicken.
- 4. Toast tortillas under broiler or on a griddle until lightly blistered, turning frequently. Place 2 tortillas on each of 4 plates; divide chicken mixture evenly among tortillas. Top each taco with green onions and bell pepper strips; serve with lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes