surprisingly good combination! made sauce in the pan after the chicken….added the garlic, celery and red pepper at that time. as others mentioned, this would be good over brown rice. served with cilantro lime rice with peanuts and green onions on the side.
Kung Pao Chicken Tacos
Photo: Brian Woodcock; Styling: Mary Clayton Carl
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
Amount per serving
- Calories: 418
- Fat: 19.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.1g
- Protein: 25.2g
- Carbohydrate: 39.3g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 531mg
- Calcium: 53mg
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- 3/4 cup diagonally sliced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 lime wedges
- 1. Place chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce to bag; seal. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes. Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Place 1/4 cup cornstarch in a shallow dish. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with salt. Add chicken to cornstarch in dish, and toss chicken to thoroughly coat. Shake off excess cornstarch.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of coated chicken; sauté for 6 minutes or until done, turning to brown. Remove chicken from pan using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Repeat the procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil and coated chicken.
- 3. Combine remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, honey, and next 3 ingredients (through sambal oelek) in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Microwave at HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring twice. Stir in garlic. Combine soy sauce mixture, chicken, peanuts, and celery; toss to coat chicken.
- 4. Toast tortillas under broiler or on a griddle until lightly blistered, turning frequently. Place 2 tortillas on each of 4 plates; divide chicken mixture evenly among tortillas. Top each taco with green onions and bell pepper strips; serve with lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note