I haven't made yet but I will. Sounds very similar to an OLD family recipe. PEOPLE...If you don't like a recipe without trying it, IGNORE it. You sound very judgemental, if someone did the same about your personal self, you wouldn't like it...so knock it OFF!
After being iced, the bread is topped with raisins to form the letters XB, meaning "Christ has risen."
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons brandy or rum
- 3/4 cup warm milk (100° to 110°)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried orange peel
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Place 1/4 cup golden raisins in a bowl, and cover with boiling water. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- Combine yeast and 1/4 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, sugar, and next 6 ingredients to yeast mixture; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Gradually stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down; turn out onto a well-floured surface. Press dough flat, and work golden raisins, almonds, and orange peel evenly into dough.
- Shape dough into a ball; press, seam side down, into a greased 2-pound coffee can, filling half of can.
- Cover with wax paper, and let dough rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 to 45 minutes or just until dough reaches top of can. (Do not let rise above top.)
- Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from can, and place on a serving plate.
- Stir together remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk until mixture is blended; spread over warm bread. Press 1/2 cup raisins into top of bread, forming initials "XB."
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note