I haven't made yet but I will. Sounds very similar to an OLD family recipe. PEOPLE...If you don't like a recipe without trying it, IGNORE it. You sound very judgemental, if someone did the same about your personal self, you wouldn't like it...so knock it OFF!
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons brandy or rum
- 3/4 cup warm milk (100° to 110°)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried orange peel
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Place 1/4 cup golden raisins in a bowl, and cover with boiling water. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- Combine yeast and 1/4 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, sugar, and next 6 ingredients to yeast mixture; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Gradually stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down; turn out onto a well-floured surface. Press dough flat, and work golden raisins, almonds, and orange peel evenly into dough.
- Shape dough into a ball; press, seam side down, into a greased 2-pound coffee can, filling half of can.
- Cover with wax paper, and let dough rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 to 45 minutes or just until dough reaches top of can. (Do not let rise above top.)
- Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from can, and place on a serving plate.
- Stir together remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk until mixture is blended; spread over warm bread. Press 1/2 cup raisins into top of bread, forming initials "XB."
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note