Kris Kringle Cake
We guarantee you'll have just as much fun making this holiday creation as you will eating it. Impress your Christmas party guests or the entire family with this Kris Kringle Cake.
Yield: serves 16
- 1 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened and divided
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons milk, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Brown and red paste food coloring
- Red candied cherry, halved
- 4 large marshmallows
- For cake, beat 1/2 cup butter and brown sugar in a large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream and 1/2 cup milk; stir until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, stirring until well blended. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 12 1/2-inch wide star-shaped baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center tests done. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, combine powdered sugar, shortening, 3/4 cup butter, 3 tablespoons milk and vanilla in a large bowl; beat until smooth. Spoon 1 1/2 cups frosting into a pastry bag; cover end of bag with plastic wrap and set aside. Spoon 1/4 cup frosting into small bowl; tint brown. Spoon frosting into a pastry bag; cover end of bag with plastic wrap and set aside. Spoon one cup frosting into another small bowl; tint red.
- Spread remaining white frosting on sides of cake, on top of four tips of cake for hands and feet and on top of cake for face. Spread red frosting on top of cake for hat and suit. Use table knife or small metal spatula dipped in water to smooth frosting.
- Using white frosting and a basketweave tip with smooth side of tip facing up, pipe stripes on pants and trim on shirt and hat. Using brown frosting and a basketweave tip with smooth side of tip facing up, pipe belt and trim on top of boots. Using brown frosting and a small round tip, pipe eyes and laces on boots. Using white frosting and a grass tip, pipe beard.
- Place one cherry half on cake for nose. Cut one marshmallow in half crosswise. Place one marshmallow half on top of hat for pom-pom. Draw and cut out patterns for mustache and eyebrows. Use a rolling pin to roll out remaining marshmallows to 1/8-inch thickness. Place patterns on marshmallow pieces and use small sharp knife to cut out 2 mustache pieces and 2 eyebrows; place on cake. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This