Prep and Cook Time: about 1 1/2 hours. Notes: Look for pearl sugar in specialty food stores. Store twists airtight for up to 3 days.
Yield: Makes about 60 cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 73
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 1g
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 9.2g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 45mg
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 hard-cooked large egg yolks
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup pearl or coarse decorating sugar (see notes)
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and granulated sugar until smooth. Add hard-cooked egg yolks, uncooked egg yolk, uncooked whole egg, and salt; beat on medium speed until blended. Stir in flour.
- 2. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; cover with plastic wrap. On a lightly floured board, roll each ball under your palm into a 6-inch-long rope. On a 12- by 15-inch baking sheet (you'll need three total), twist each rope into a figure eight and press ends lightly together; space twists about 1 inch apart. Beat remaining egg white to blend; lightly brush over twists. Sprinkle with pearl sugar.
- 3. Bake in a 350° oven until twists are golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes; switch pan positions halfway through baking. With a wide spatula, transfer twists to racks to cool.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per twist.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note