- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 (16-ounce) cans shredded sauerkraut, drained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound cooked frankfurters, cut into 1-inch pieces
How to Make It
Combine water and butter in a large Dutch oven; cook over medium heat until butter melts. Add potato, apple, and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add sauerkraut, sugar, caraway seeds, and pepper; stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, over low heat 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in frankfurters.
Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until frankfurters are thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Spoon into a serving dish and serve immediately.