- Pickled vegetables
- 3 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 bunch French breakfast radishes or red radishes
- 1 green kohlrabi, washed but not peeled
- 1 large yellow beet, washed but not peeled
- 1 large red beet, washed but not peeled
- 6-in. piece daikon, washed but not peeled
- 1 black radish* (optional), washed but not peeled
- 2-lb. piece firm, seedless watermelon, rind trimmed
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 pounds hanger steaks (3 to 4 steaks total)
- calories 299
- caloriesfromfat 31 %
- protein 25 g
- fat 10 g
- satfat 3.5 g
- carbohydrate 27 g
- fiber 2.3 g
- sodium 978 mg
- cholesterol 50 mg
How to Make It
Make pickles: Whisk vinegars, sugar, and salt in a bowl with 3 cups water until sugar dissolves. Halve French radishes. Slice kohlrabi, beets, daikon, and black radish into very thin (1/16-in.) slices--easiest using a mandoline or food processor with slicing blade. Cut watermelon into 1-in. dice. Put each vegetable or fruit in its own jar, gently tamp it down, and cover with brine. Chill, covered, 1 day.
Marinate beef: Whisk soy, sugar, corn syrup, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and pepper in a bowl with 1/2 cup water. Put beef in a 1-gal. resealable bag, add marinade, and chill overnight, turning a couple of times.
Heat grill to medium-high (450°). Oil cooking grate with a wad of oiled paper towels. Lift steak from marinade (throw away marinade). Grill steak with lid down, turning as needed, until grill marks appear, 7 to 10 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer to a platter and let rest 10 minutes.
*Black radishes have snowy white interiors and a spicy kick. Find them at farmers' markets and some grocery stores.
Make-ahead & packing tips: Make pickles and marinate beef 1 day ahead. Bring pickles to beach in jars and beef in its bag, all kept chilled.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.