I love Korean BBQ and this is a nice way of having it in a lighter form. I do find the lettuce wraps to be cumbersome though. They come apart when you bite into them and it makes a big mess. Boston lettuce might be a better choice.
Korean Sesame Beef with Lettuce Wraps
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 498
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 14.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Protein: 25.2g
- Carbohydrate: 62.2g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- Iron: 8.7mg
- Sodium: 581mg
- Calcium: 88mg
- 3/4 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 4 cups hot cooked short-grain rice
- 1 cup kimchi
- 16 red leaf lettuce leaves
- 1. Cut steak across grain into 1/4-inch slices; cut slices into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Cut strips into 3-inch-long pieces. Combine steak pieces, 1/4 cup onions, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and sesame oil.
- 2. Heat a 14-inch wok over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil to wok, swirling to coat. Add half of steak mixture to wok; stir-fry 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Spoon cooked steak mixture into a bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil and remaining steak mixture. Sprinkle with remaining onions and sesame seeds. Spoon 1/4 cup rice, about 2 tablespoons steak mixture, and 1 tablespoon kimchi onto each lettuce leaf; roll up. Serve immediately.
Kimchi is a traditional Korean condiment of fiery fermented cabbage. Look for it at Asian markets or in the supermarket's produce section.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note