Korean Kimbab (California Rolls)
Community Recipe from
- 4 cup(s) cooked short grain rice
- 1 bunch(es) spinach parboiled
- 2 piece(s) carrots julienned
- 1 piece(s) danmooji (pickled yellow radish) cut long thin strips
- 2 whole(s) fish cakes cut long thin strips
- 1 teaspoon(s) sesame oil
- 1/2 pound(s) ground chuck
- 3 strip(s) imitation crab meat
- 2 piece(s) kiwi cut thin strips
- 1 piece(s) fuji apple cut thin strips
- 4 piece(s) fried egg cut thin strips
- On a non-stick pan, drizzle some olive oil and stir fry carrots and any other hard vegetables until soft and tender, just enough to take the crunch out of them. Parboil the spinach in boiling water, rinse under cold water, and remove excess water by squeezing into a ball. For the fish cakes, cut into long strips and saute until slightly browned.
- Cut danmooji yellow radish into long, thin strips (see pics above).
- Mix the warm rice with the sesame seeds and sesame oil in a mixing bowl and set aside. Avoid using just cooked rice as it will shrivel up the seaweed sheets when being spread out.
- Place one seaweed sheet on a bamboo stick roller/mat. Place rice on half of the seaweed sheet and add set aside toppings. Add optional ingredients according to taste. Roll in a log while keep rolling mat pulled back and not in the kimbab itself. Roll and squeeze tight until fully enclosed. Rice can be used as glue to help close the kimbab.
- Brush a little sesame oil on the seaweed roll and cut into desired pieces. Be sure to have a sharp knife here, otherwise the sticky rice will tear into pieces and create not so appetizing kimbab. Enjoy!
- *Kimbab rolls make for excellent snacks for picnics, short road trips, and lunchbox additions. With the exception of fruit kimbab (which should be eaten quite soon after making), they can last up to a day, 2 days max. at normal room temperature but make sure to give them a test smell before eating.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by oliviajasonkim and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes