Absolutely delicious, great flavors too.
Korean-Inspired Sautéed Tofu
Serve this as a first course for an Asian-themed meal, or make brown rice and steamed spinach to go with it for an entrée. Draining and pressing the tofu yields a crisp crust when pan-fried; it also helps the tofu absorb more flavor from the zesty pan sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 128
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 4.9g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 208mg
- Calcium: 135mg
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, divided
- 1 (14-ounce) package water-packed soft tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 ounce fresh ginger, peeled and julienne-cut
- 3 tablespoons diagonally sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1. Combine vinegar, mirin, soy sauce, sesame oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon red pepper in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk.
- 2. Cut tofu crosswise into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices. Arrange tofu on several layers of paper towels. Top with several more layers of paper towels; top with a cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand 30 minutes. Remove tofu from paper towels. Cut tofu into (1-inch) cubes. Sprinkle tofu with remaining 1/8 teaspoon red pepper.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until crisp, carefully turning to brown on all sides. Remove tofu from pan; keep warm. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil in pan. Add ginger and green onions to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Add garlic to pan; sauté 30 seconds or just until golden. Add ginger mixture to vinegar mixture; stir well. Pour vinegar mixture over tofu; sprinkle evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and sesame seeds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes