- 1 (small) onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, kalbi or flanken-style; thinly sliced
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Steamed white rice, macaroni salad and kimchi, for serving (optional)
How to Make It
In a blender, puree the onion, scallions, garlic, soy sauce, orange juice, mirin, sesame oil, sugar and sesame seeds until smooth. Transfer the marinade to a large baking dish. Add the short ribs and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bring the short ribs to room temperature before cooking.
Preheat the oven to Light a grill or preheat a grill pan and brush with vegetable oil. Working in batches, grill the short ribs over high heat, turning once, until nicely browned and charred in spots, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the ribs to a rimmed baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you grill the remaining ribs. Serve the ribs with rice, macaroni salad and kimchi.