My husband is a junk foodie and very hard to please as far as lighter fare goes and this recipe was a big hit in my household. I love using my crockpot and this recipe in particular was VERY easy. The house smelled amazing and the meat was pretty tender. It wasn't as tender as I was expecting (I cook fatty beef short ribs frequently), perhaps because of the cut of meat (first time cooking brisket!) but it was still very delicious. I guess I would suggest ensuring the meat is VERY shredded. After shredding the meat, I kept it in the juices for an additional hour to really soak up the flavors. I put them on a bun with mayo and american cheese and it was awesome. Tonight, we will be having the leftovers wrapped with brown rice in tortillas.
Knife and Fork Barbecued Brisket Sandwiches
This make ahead open-faced sandwich recipe is a must have during the hot summer months. Some barbecue sandwiches are meant to be picked up; this one is meant to be savored.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 327
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 24.3g
- Carbohydrate: 37.6g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 67mg
- Iron: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 700mg
- Calcium: 0.0mg
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced and divided
- 1 (3-pound) beef brisket
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 1/2 cup light beer
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 5 submarine rolls, split and toasted
- Place half of onion rings in bottom of a 4-quart electric slow cooker. Trim fat from meat, and cut into large pieces to fit in slow cooker; sprinkle with pepper and salt. Dredge meat in flour; place on top of onion, sprinkling with any remaining flour. Add remaining half of onion.
- Combine chili sauce and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well. Pour over meat mixture. Cover and cook on high 4 to 5 hours or until meat is tender. Remove brisket, and replace slow cooker cover.
- Shred beef, using 2 forks; return meat to hot liquid in slow cooker, stirring well. Spoon meat mixture over toasted roll halves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This