- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin
- 2 (12-oz.) packages frozen cooked pureed squash, thawed
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
How to Make It
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add thyme; sauté 1 minute or until fragrant.
Stir in broth, pumpkin, and squash. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 6 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool 10 minutes.
Process soup, in batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return soup to Dutch oven. Stir in half-and-half and remaining ingredients. Cook, over low heat, stirring often, 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.
Note: We tested with Publix Cooked Squash. Be sure to use unsweetened squash puree for best results.