Kitchen Express Orange-Sweet Potato Pie
More From Southern Living
Total: 4 Hours, 35 Minutes
- 1/2 (15-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 tablespoon plain white cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- ORANGE SWEET POTATO FILLING:
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Unroll piecrust on a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle with cornmeal and chopped fresh rosemary. Lightly roll cornmeal and rosemary into crust. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions. Fold edges under; crimp. Chill 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake crust 20 minutes, shielding edges with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour).
- 3. Meanwhile, prepare Filling: Bake sweet potatoes at 400° on a baking sheet 50 to 55 minutes or until tender. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp into a bowl. Mash pulp. Discard skins.
- 4. Whisk together eggs and granulated sugar until well blended. Add milk, next 6 ingredients, and sweet potato pulp, stirring until blended. Pour mixture into baked crust.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°, and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until center is set. Let cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts