Delicious! My husband and son even loved the leftovers. I baked the chicken rather than boiling. Besides that I pretty much followed the recipe. We ate it with hot sauce and sour cream on top. This is a winner!
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
William Dickey; Melanie Clarke
More From Southern Living
Other: 40 Minutes
- 1 (4 1/2- to 5-lb. ) whole chicken
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3 pieces each
- 2 carrots, cut into 3 pieces each
- 2 1/2 to 3 tsp. salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10-oz.) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican-style chili powder*
- 3 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 12 (6-inch) fajita-size corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1. If applicable, remove giblets from chicken, and reserve for another use. Rinse chicken.
- 2. Place chicken, celery, carrots, and salt in a large Dutch oven with water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 50 minutes to 1 hour or until chicken is done. Remove from heat. Remove chicken from broth; cool 30 minutes. Remove and reserve 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Strain any remaining cooking liquid, and reserve for another use.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 6 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add bell pepper and garlic, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in reserved 3/4 cup cooking liquid, cream of mushroom soup, and next 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes.
- 4. Skin and bone chicken; shred meat into bite-size pieces. Layer half of chicken in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with half of soup mixture and 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Cover with half of corn tortilla strips. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- *1 tsp. chili powder and 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper may be substituted for Mexican-style chili powder.
- Lightened King Ranch Chicken Casserole: Reduce butter to 1 Tbsp. Substitute reduced-fat cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup for regular and 2% reduced-fat cheese for regular. Prepare recipe as directed through Step 4. Bake, covered, at 350° for 50 minutes; uncover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Cracker Barrel 2% Milk Natural Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
- Quick-and-Easy King Ranch Chicken Casserole: Substitute 1 (2-lb.) skinned, boned, and shredded deli-roasted chicken for whole chicken, 3 cups coarsely crumbled lime-flavored white corn tortilla chips for corn tortillas, and 3/4 cup chicken broth for cooking liquid. Omit celery, carrots, and salt. Prepare recipe as directed, beginning with Step 3.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles