There is a problem with this recipe in comparison to it's original version (casserole). The original calls for 2 cans of the tomato/green chile mixture. I always use 1 can of tomato/green chile (rotel) and one can stewed tomatoes for another layer of flavor! Then, I add 2-3 Tb. of the Chile seasoning to spice it up. Mine is always gone on the first night :-) -- Made this again and used 3cups cooked rotisserie chix, 1 can cream of mushroom, 1 can fire roasted salsa style tomatoes (Kroger brand), 1 Tbs. Chili seasoing, 1 Tbs. Taco Seasoning, 1 diced onion, 1 diced red pepper.
King Ranch Chicken
More From Southern Living
4 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 12 (6-inch) fajita-size corn tortillas
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1. Stir together first 8 ingredients. Tear tortillas into 1-inch pieces; layer one-third of tortilla pieces in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Top with one-third of chicken mixture and 2/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- 2. Cover and cook on LOW 3 1/2 hours or until bubbly and edges are golden brown. Uncover and cook on LOW 30 minutes.
For an easy side, whisk together 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup pepper jelly. Toss with 1 quartered and thinly sliced English cucumber, 1 quartered and thinly sliced small red onion, 4 cups fresh arugula, 2 cups halved grape tomatoes, and 1 cup diced yellow bell pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note