This is the ultimate make-ahead breakfast casserole. For the best results, assemble it the night before. The next morning, pour the remaining milk over top, and knock off the chill by letting it stand 45 minutes before baking.
Southern Living DECEMBER 2013
1. Toss together first 2 ingredients, and place in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with chicken and 2 cups cheese.
2. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add tomatoes and next 8 ingredients, and cook, stirring often, 5 to 8 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat, and cool 10 minutes.
3. Whisk together eggs, soup, and 1 1/2 cups milk in a large bowl. Pour over bread mixture. Sprinkle with cooled onion mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill 8 to 24 hours.
4. Pour remaining 1 cup milk over strata; top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Let stand 45 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake strata 1 hour and 10 minutes or until set. Serve immediately.
Go to full version of